gatt advertising

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a GATT-based service that exposes some
characteristics that can be accessed by clients; I'm using
gatt_add_service_add for that, and the BLExplr app on the iPhone side.

The good news is that it seems to be possibly to do so :-) (I'm using
git master + the 128-bit uuid patch I wrote); however, it seems the
service is not advertised; I need to connect to the device first before
I can see it; at least when trying with an iPhone.

So, a few questions:

- Is any extra step is needed to advertise the service beyond
  gatt_service_add and 'hciconfig leadv'?

  (It seems that neither mine, nor any of the other services (proximity,
  time, alert, ...) are recognized until after I connect(*). After
  connection, I can see all of them.

- It also seems the device stops advertising after a while -- is there
  some way to programmatically put it in advertising mode (like
  hciconfig leadv) and keep it that way?

- Should the UUID of the service be part of the UUIDs property in
  org.Bluez.Adapter1 and org.bluez.Device1? (I tried 'btmgmt aad-uuid
  <uuid> 0' and then then <uuid> becomes visible in the
  org.bluez.Device1 UUIDs, but sadly, the iPhone still doesn't seem to
  see it, pre-connection).

I don't really know what to expect, what things I may be missing, and if
perhaps things are missing in Bluez implementation, so any help is
welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Dirk.

[ my apologies if you received this message more than once; it seems
the message didn't reach the mailing list, so I tried again... ]

(*) but for some reason, in the aforementioned app, I can see the 'Tx Power
Level' value before connection.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl