Re: [RFC] PATCH: rfcomm tty refcount fixes

On 07/12/2013 11:20 AM, Alexander Holler wrote:
Am 06.07.2013 10:43, schrieb Gianluca Anzolin:
Hi,

I'm getting panics and OOPS with the vanilla kernel 3.10 using rfcomm with a
bluetooth module connected to a microcontroller: this occurs when I poweroff
the microcontroller without closing first the rfcomm device.

Searching the web I found that I'm not alone with this issue:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=136868678418771&w=2

In the thread the issue seems to be a refcounting problem.

Indeed looking at the source there are places where dev->port.tty is accessed
directly without taking references of the tty_struct.

So I inspected every dev->port.tty access and changed the code to use
tty_port_tty_get which gets the references properly.

In other places I used directly the tty_port_* helpers already in place.

I the process I changed also the tty_port_hangup helper because it seems to me
that it could leak references in some cases (I sent another email for that).

I attach the patch against net/bluetooth/rfcomm/tty.c and
drivers/tty/tty_port.c

With this patch I cannot reproduce the oopses I was getting before: I was able
to trigger the panics very easily and now I cannot trigger them anymore.

The patches with BUG_ON or WARN_ON don't work with 3.10 anymore and do
make things worse, at least here. They are fine for 3.7-3.9, but not
with 3.10.

Someone sent me private mail with a crash report which occurs after the
WARN_ON() anyway (which is why I wanted to test the WARN_ON patch :) ).

I cannot tell however if the problem is really fixed so I'm here request for
comments from people who know this code better than me.

I've just had the chance to test a 3.10(.0) kernel with your two patches
applied, they doesn't seem to help. The machine I've used to test just
stood still after the first or second disconnect. Unfortunatley I can't
provide any debug output, the machine I've just used doesn't have a
serial and without debugging such stuff is a pain.

Look on the linux-bluetooth list: there is a new (monolithic) patch from the
same author that might be interesting to test. But be warned, it's a big patch
that basically reimplements rfcomm tty as a proper tty port, so there could
be serious bugs there.

I took a quick scan and the basic goal of the patch looks correct but there
could be details missing. Because that patch has extensive changes, it's very
difficult to review.

To them I'd like also to have a look at rfcomm_tty_close: in some situations
tty_port_put could be called two times: is that right?

That doesn't sound sane.

That's what the old code did; it wasn't sane, it was wrong. Which is why I said
in my initial comments a while back that rfcomm tty didn't refcount correctly.

Besides that, the old code also used a field from the refcounted structure
as an input to obtain a refcount! Crazy.

Regards,
Peter Hurley