Re: Problem Running Bluez Tests

Hi Brendan,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Brendan West
<extremeskateboarding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Johan,
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:25 AM, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> BlueZ 5.x installs bluetoothd by default into /usr/libexec/bluetooth/
>> whereas 4.x installs it to /usr/sbin/, so it wouldn't get overwritten.
>
> Ah, that makes sense.  I hate to keep asking questions that I probably
> should already know the answer to, but how do I start the 5.x
> bluetoothd?  I have tried editing the "bluetooth" file in the
> "/etc/init.d/" directory and pointing the "daemon" path to the
> "/usr/libexec/bluetooth/" directory (the one specified in the first
> few lines of the file; the file does say that it is for Bluez 4.x, but
> I couldn't find one for 5.x), but when I use the
> "/etc/init.d/bluetooth start" command, it just hangs and doesn't do
> anything.  Is there a different command/location that I need to
> utilize for 5.x?

If you are just hacking around, you can try these steps (first restore
your /etc/init.d/bluetooth to the original content):

/etc/init.d/bluetooth stop
# do a backup of the original executable
mv /usr/sbin/bluetoothd  /usr/sbin/bluetoothd.orig
ln -s /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd /usr/sbin/bluetoothd
/etc/init.d/bluetooth start

Note though that this is just a quick&dirty hack. The correct approach
is for you to do the proper packaging for the distro you are running
(e.g. .deb packaging for Debian based distros).

Unfortunately, I did not find any Debian based distro already
packaging BlueZ 5.x, so you will need to do your own packaging.

Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo
Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia - INdT