Re: MAP client: Add support for receiving notifications

Hi Christian,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Christian Fetzer
<christian.fetzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a follow-up on the discussion started in my patch set
> "MAP client: notification support". The patches were implementing
> notification support only for one remote device and needed an additional
> API function for choosing that device.
>
> It's better to implement this implicitly and support multiple devices
> from the beginning.
>
> In this E-Mail I'd like to suggest how we could implement the
> notification connection setup in BlueZ. I'll try to explain the relevant
> part of the spec to have a base for discussion.
>
> MAP consists of two different OBEX applications, Message Access Service
> (MAS) for browsing messages and Message Notification Service (MNS) for
> receiving event reports about changes on the server (like new messages,
> moved messages, delivery reports, ...).
>
> The spec describes the single phone use case where the MAP client (MCE)
> consists of several MAS client instances for the different accounts and
> one common MNS server instance:
>
>   MCE (Car Kit)       MSE (Phone)
> +---------------+   +-------------------------+
> | MAS client 1  |<->| MAS server 1 (SMS)      |
> | MAS client 2  |<->| MAS server 2 (E-Mail A) |
> |     ...       |   |     ...                 |
> | MNS server    |<->| MNS client              |
> +---------------+   +-------------------------+
>
> Every MAS client instance, that wants to use notifications, needs to
> use the SetNotificationRegistration function to enable it.
> If the MNS connection isn't established already, the server (MSE) will
> start the SDP lookup for the MNS instance on the client and connect to
> it. The event reports that are sent on the MNS channel contain the MAS
> instance ID, that can be used to map the event to the MAS client.
>
> Since an OBEX instance, like the MNS server, cannot be connected to
> different remote devices at the same time, it will not work to have one
> static MNS server instance. Instead we need one MNS server instance for
> every connected remote device (that we want to use with MAP). Since the
> MNS connection establishment is based on SDP, we have to make sure that
> there's only one MNS server SDP record visible. Otherwise, the MSE
> cannot know which one to connect to.

But it should not the same instance, for every connection it will be a
different OBEX instance just like any OPP instance. RFCOMM limitation
is to the same device we can only have one connection, actually 2 one
in each direction, but for different devices we can connect just fine.

> If we want to hide this all from the application level, we could do the
> connection establishment for two devices (MSE 1 and MSE 2) as described
> here.
>
>   MCE (Car Kit)       MSE 1 (Business phone)
> +---------------+   +-------------------------+
> | MAS client 1  |<->| MAS server 1 (SMS)      |
> | MAS client 2  |<->| MAS server 2 (E-Mail A) |
> |     ...       |   |     ...                 |
> | MNS server 1  |<->| MNS client              |
> |               |   +-------------------------+
> |               |
> |               |     MSE 2 (private phone)
> |               |   +-------------------------+
> | MAS client 3  |<->| MAS server 1 (SMS)      |
> |     ...       |   |     ...                 |
> | MNS server 2  |<->| MNS client              |
> +---------------+   +-------------------------+
>
> - MCE connects MAS client 1 to MSE 1
> - MCE dynamically instantiates MNS server 1 and registers its SDP record
> - MAS client 1 sends SetNotificationRegistration(on)
> - MSE does SDP lookup and connects to the found MNS server 1
> - MCE removes SDP record for MNS server 1
> - MCE connects MAS client 2 to MSE 1
> - MAS client 2 sends SetNotificationRegistration(on)
>      (MNS channel is already up, MSE just responds OK)
> - MCE connects MAS client 3 to MSE 2
> - MCE dynamically instantiates MNS server 2 and registers its SDP record
> - MAS client 3 sends SetNotificationRegistration(on)
> - MSE does SDP lookup and connects to the found MNS server 2
> - MCE removes SDP record for MNS server 2
>
> Does that sound reasonable for you?
>
> Currently it's not possible to dynamically add OBEX servers, as they are
> all instantiated at startup on predefined RFCOMM channels.
> Could you comment on how this should be implemented best?

We should be able to differentiate each connection already, in fact
bluetoothd and obexd are already able to handle multiple
instances/connections to e.g. OPP:

bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_confirm() incoming connect from
6C:83:36:BA:55:B4
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_confirm() Object Push authorizing
connection from 6C:83:36:BA:55:B4
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_auth() Connection from
6C:83:36:BA:55:B4 authorized but still waiting for SDP
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_svc_complete() Services resolved
for 6C:83:36:BA:55:B4
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_svc_complete() 6C:83:36:BA:55:B4
authorized to connect to Object Push
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_connect() Object Push connected
to 6C:83:36:BA:55:B4
bluetoothd[18792]: src/device.c:device_profile_connected() Object Push
Success (0)
bluetoothd[18792]: src/adapter.c:connected_callback() hci0 device
B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F connected eir_len 5
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_confirm() incoming connect from
B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_confirm() Object Push authorizing
connection from B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_auth() Connection from
B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F authorized but still waiting for SDP
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_svc_complete() Services resolved
for B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_svc_complete() B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F
authorized to connect to Object Push
bluetoothd[18792]: src/profile.c:ext_connect() Object Push connected
to B4:EE:D4:93:34:8F
bluetoothd[18792]: src/device.c:device_profile_connected() Object Push
Success (0)

Every connection is represented by a GObex instance, since there is
only one MSN independent of how many MAS instances there is no need to
have multiple records because each device will connection only once
and each will have a dedicated GObex instance.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz