Re: Device selection during inquiry

Hi David,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A Bluetooth Host searches for target devices via standard inquiry (at
> least I think so). The devices can be placed into discoverable mode
> for 20s via a "sync" button. Once they are found, a baseband
> connection is created by the host and the devices are paired via a
> simple BT-address related PIN.
>
> I can easily replace the host with a BlueZ host and connect to the
> devices via a normal inquiry and then open the baseband connection.
> However, I haven't succeeded in replacing the target devices with a
> BlueZ host. I simply cannot trick the proprietary host into connecting
> to my device. In fact, "hcidump" doesn't give me anything while the
> host is performing the inquiry. I couldn't even figure out the
> BT-address of the host.

I remembered that I used to change BlueZ's default LAP (0x9e8b33,
which is the GIAC) and use that same value on the "host" side in order
to filter out unwanted devices during inquiry. This allowed me to get
"cleaner" hcidumps because I could only "see" the devices which are
using IACs generated from that same LAP. See page 315 of the Core V4.0
spec for some intro to these concepts.

It's possible that the Wii Remote uses a different LAP than of that of
BlueZ's, and that the Wii host runs inquiry using that LAP in order to
reduce the list of found devices and improve discovery latency. BlueZ
sees all devices because it uses the GIAC.

If that's the case, you need to find out this LAP and use the same
value. But It might be just that simple because other controller
parameters are also used to calculate the IAC. Unfortunately, I know
very little about this part of the spec (I only play with it for
testing). But I hope it helps you looking for further info.

Best Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo
Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia - INdT