Re: PBAP + two-step download

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 14:06 +0300, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> What about Search + Pull? If you have download the contact already you
> >> have the name then you search by name, otherwise search by number,
> >> with the response you can download the vcard with Pull.
> >
> > Isn't that very inefficient? One search request for each contact?
>
> It is, that why we need to download this info before hand, but since
> we cannot depend on the contact handle being unique across the
> sessions

We don't - the two steps would be in the same PBAP session. In the
future it might even work across sessions, once the Bluetooth consortium
adds cross-session references (planned for 2013, as far as I know).

> > I also don't expect it to work reliably, for example when there is a
> > "John Doe, Sr." and John Doe, Jr." in the same address book. Phone
> > number also isn't unique (might have been added to two different persons
> > who are sharing the same address and phone).
>
> Yep, but that is the general problem isn't it?

Right, but that doesn't mean that we have to start using a method that
is prone to this problem when there are better alternatives, like using
a known contact number in the current session and requesting that
directly.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.