Question For Devs: Is Headset Connection Automatic?

I am non-developer with a basic question about basic BlueZ
functionality. I have a BT headset (Samsung HM1000) that I have paired
with BlueZ. I am able to successfully connect / disconnect the headset
using the bluetooth panel applet (in Ubuntu 12.04 lastest patches). My
question is should the headset automatically connect to BlueZ after it
is powered on or after pressing the talk button?

My BT Logitech mouse automatically connects to BlueZ after it has been
powered on or after a long period of inactivity. I expected the
headset to do the same, connect automatically. Is there a way to have
the headset connect automatically without having to select 'Connect'
from the panel applet?

Thanks in advance for your help.