Re: [RFC BlueZ v0 0/5] ACL disconnect reason

Hi Luiz,

>> From my point of view, the exact policy of which devices, how many of
>> them, using which priorities, which profiles, etc. is manufacturer and
>> model-specific. I don't think these policies should be embedded in
>> BlueZ. After all, we already have a nice D-Bus API to handle these
>> use-cases, and only the disconnect reason seems to be missing.
>
> Disconnect reason doesn't solve all the problems, specially in multi
> profile case when just one profile has disconnected but the link is
> still active. Besides that I would be very interested to know why each
> model has to have a different behavior this goes completely in
> opposite of having a common stack with a well defined behavior.

The ACL disconnect case might not cover all use-cases, but it does
cover the most important one: the link loss. Exposing if a specific
profile has disconnected cleanly is IMO way too much.

> When you say you want this specific per model all I can think of is
> how much IOP problems it can cause and in the end I see no benefit for
> the user, we should aim for re-connect as quick as possible and that
> should be enough for any model.

Let's not make a big deal out of this. We are talking about small
differences in policies, such as how many devices and profiles are
connected, and according to which priorities.

I do agree that anything that could cause IOP problems should be
handled inside BlueZ. And the immediate reconnection try after a link
loss does sound an example of this kind. So I would be fine if BlueZ
internally handles this, but I still think we need to expose this in
D-Bus somehow.

One alternative to my original proposal -adding a Disconnected(uint8
reason) signal- would be to use the state property of each interface
(HFP, A2DP). If the autoreconnect policy is enabled, a link loss would
generate the transition "connected"->"connecting" (or
"playing"->"connecting"). Never setting the state to "disconnected"
would effectively be equivalent as reporting a link loss.

Any thoughts on this second approach? Any other proposal?

Cheers,
Mikel