Re: A request to understand the design decisions why tasklets were changed to workqueues eg. hci_rx_task() to hci_rx_work()

Dean -

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Dean Jenkins wrote:

Hi,

I am interested to the understand the design decisions for changing
from tasklets to workqueues.

Was there a fundamental flaw that necessitated the change ?

I am asking because I am getting a Bluetooth "scheduling while atomic"
failure on an ARM based 2.6.34 kernel (with some 2.6.37 Bluez
backports). Changing to workqueues would avoid this issue as a
workqueue use process context that can sleep.

Thanks for any info on the design decisions.

Take a look at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/19535 and the thread it is part of. The main motivation was to eliminate bugs and complexity arising from a mix of tasklet-context and process-context code. Locking and concurrency problems have become trickier with the introduction of the management interface, L2CAP ERTM, and AMP.

There were big changes to the workqueue internals in 2.6.36, I don't know if that will cause major issues when backporting current code to 2.6.34.

--
Mat Martineau
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum