Re: A2DP quality (bluetooth-alsa)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM, qduaty <qduaty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/10/18 Siarhei Siamashka <siarhei.siamashka@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Still I would suggest you to try the attached patch just for a test.
>> It reduces audio volume as part of the sbc encoding process and should
>> eliminate most of the possible clipping cases on the decoding side.
>
> Sorry for responding after a half year :) but I finally tested your
> encoder patch applied to libbluetooth version 4.96, using AIMP3 and
> pulseaudio. Unpatched encoder produces a "digital" distortion (which
> is rather annoying) and sounds much like BlueSoleil on Windows. After
> patching, music is slightly quieter (which can be expected if you
> decreased its volume) and has an "analog overdrive" like through a
> cheap FM radio. Anyway, the annoying "digital" distortion that was
> present in unpatched encoder, is now gone.

Thanks for testing! One more experiment would be very much welcome. I
wonder if just defining SBC_HIGH_PRECISION without doing anything else
would have any noticeable effect on audio quality in listening tests.

> Some fluctuations can be heard in higher bands in classical music, and
> (as expected) instruments are indistinguishable, but it's acceptable
> given the low bitpool.
>
> For the "analog overdrive" I hear, it may also come from the device
> itself (its proper name is Nokia BH-503). Considering its glue sealed
> case, it might have been designed as a budget solution and its price
> was "adjusted" due to no competition.
>
>> Using bitpool 128 is kind of weird for SBC codec, because the encoded
>> data stream has about the same size as the the original data and this
>> defeats the whole purpose of having any lossy compression at all.
>
> Yes, but who needs a lossy compression in an endpoint? SBC and MP3
> were introduced to overcome the low throughput problem of the
> bluetooth link, which is no longer the case since 2.0+EDR has plenty
> of unused bits.
>
>> I still recommend you to try sbcenc/sbcdec tools for the experiments with audio quality.
>
> I tried them some time ago, but I believe ALSA backend may serve for
> the same purpose (and is much easier to use). 8 blocks seems to sound
> slightly better than 16 for classical music, full stereo eliminates
> the floating of virtual sound sources, 48 kHz also seems to increase
> quality a bit when compared to 44.1.

sbcenc/sbcdec tools can do file-to-file encoding/decoding and
eliminate the need to use any bluetooth device (which could
potentially be the source of some audio quality issues). However, as I
mentioned before, audio quality in the current bluez sbc decoder is
far from perfect and the synthesis filter needs to be replaced first.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka