Re: 057c:3800 BlueFRITZ! Bluetooth Stick broken since 2.6.something

Am 18.11.2011 21:30, schrieb Johan Hedberg:
HI Michael,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011, Michael Schmitt wrote:
Thanks for the input. But do you know why the device works with
older kernel / userland?>
Probably because the list of supported commands wasn't previously
requested as part of the adapter init sequence, or because the kernel
code didn't actually wait for all commands to complete before notifying
success to user space (I know the latter is at least true since I
submitted a patch for it).

So that means, if the bt-stack in the kernel would ignore the successful completion of those "what protocol version do you understand"-commands all bt-related stuff with the stick would work nevertheless?

So, and what do we do from here on?
Well, the attached patch will at least make sure that the failure of
this command is correctly detected so you get an immediate error instead
of a timeout. The next step is to decide whether to do a quirk for your
specific adapter or to make it a general rule that errors for this
particular HCI command are ignored (for that we'd need feedback from the
real kernel experts like Marcel and Gustavo).

But apparently none of them had the urge to actually respond in this ml-thread yet. :) Let's see, I try to poke them "mildly" in cc'ing them...

General speaking, the bt-stick in question is old (at least 5 years or so) and I have another (working) stick here, so there is no immediate adversity for me. But I guess as this stick is from major bt-accessoirs supplier from germany (AVM GmbH Berlin) this hardware may be around for many users for a fairly long time. But then again... it seems to be a hardware-bug...

Anyway, I guess it would ne nice to have it "fixed" someday. :)

Greetings
Michael