Re: Out of tree plugins

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:42:21 -0200
Lucas De Marchi <lucas.demarchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Lucas De Marchi
> > <lucas.demarchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi Alon

Alon, you can look at here to see what direction the discussion was
taking:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/16540

a proper review of this proposal by BlueZ developer is still needed.

[...]
> The goal here is not to be able to build out of tree, but just as
> module or builtin.

I can see Luca's argument here, AFAICS in BlueZ modularity of plugins is
meant for object size reasons and for linking dependencies (think to
udev for the sixaxis/plystation-peripheral plugin); plugins are
still bound to the symbols provided by a matching bluetoothd, BlueZ
devs do not want to keep a “super stable” public API for out-of-tree
plugins, having the possibility of out-of-tree plugins is considered
just a side effect of modularity here with no promises at all.

Sorry if I skipped other parts of the discussion, not enough time.

Regards,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite