can BT create N independent channels?

I am writing an Android APP using BT for a control application.

Q: If I am on a BT-headset call already, can I create a second BT-connection?

Eg, will the stack allow two independent BT audio channels?

I want normal calls in one channel, and I create a second signalling
channel for an unrelated purpose. I know there is Serial protocol, but
I want to avoid that if possible (Serial devices are more expensive
than audio devices...) I am going to send the audio into a DTMF
decoder to get ON/OFF control bits only.

Thanks for any leads!
jim pruett
wikiSPEEDia.org