Re: [RFC] Proposal to distinguish address device types

* Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> [2011-05-30 20:27:22 +0300]:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Claudio Takahasi
> <claudio.takahasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Marcel/Johan/Gustavo,
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Claudio Takahasi
> > <claudio.takahasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi Marcel,

> >> I added 3 values because it gives more flexibility. Possible use cases:
> >> - Whitelist needs the address type
> >> - SMP
> >> - As input to decide to store or not information about the device
> >> since private address can change every 15minutes
> >>
> >>  At the moment we only need to know if the address is basic rate or LE
> >> to select the discovery type: SDP or LE Discovery primary. For
> >> pairing, Vinicius is using the kernel advertising cache to discover
> >> the address type, passing the address type could avoid wrong fallback
> >> to basic rate if the entry is not found in the cache.
> >>
> >> Claudio
> >>

> > Any objection to add the address type in the MGMT_EV_DEVICE_CONNECTED event?
> > Inside event.c there are a lot of get_adapter_and_device calls, for
> > some contexts it creates a new device object if it doesn't exist(eg:
> > incoming pairing). But the type is required to create a new device,
> > otherwise it will not be possible to trigger the reverse service
> > search. Obtain the type later based on the link key type will not
> > work, unless we create a device with unknown type to be able to call
> > the agent methods.
> >
> > BTW, is there a reason why it is necessary to "force" device
> > creation(get_adapter_and_device option)? In my opinion we could create
> > the device(if it doesn't exist) it inside btd_event_conn_complete
> > only. There is a potential race condition: other application calling
> > RemoveDevice, but for this case reference counting should work.
> >
> > Currently, controllers doesn't support simultaneous BR/EDR/LE, this is
> > another argument to export the address type or connection type through
> > management interface avoiding future changes on the API.
>
> What about having a different socket family for le e.g.
> AF_BLUETOOTH_LE? With that we could have more direct mapping with the
> spec, with proper 49 bit addresses and things like that so we don't
> have to break existing code.

A new socket family may be too much, we can do this through a new sockopt
item. I think this is possible, especially if we plan to export some other LE
specific info to the userspace. Do you have any idea of which things will we
put on a l2cap_options_le struct?

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://profusion.mobi