Re: how to set adapter to master with bluez 4.69?

On 11-03-15 11:25 AM, Brad Midgley wrote:
> Brian,

Hi Brad,

> You can have both master and slave connections simultaneously, just
> like you can be slave to more than one master. In both cases it means
> your adapter is in different piconets.

Ahhh.  See.  Shows what I know about the details of B/T.  I thought one
adapter == one piconet.

> There are rules about whether devices can refuse the master/slave
> switch. It's been some time since I read this so I can't remember, but
> maybe it's the initiating device that starts out as slave and the
> remote device has to agree to a role switch.

Hrm.  I guess I will have to play with that a bit.

> So you should be able to
> force the headset to cooperate, even if it's refusing role switches,
> by changing who initiates that connection in addition to a link policy
> that keeps your adapter as master.

OK.  So as far as the link policy that keeps the adapter as master,
after having rebooted this machine today I found the following:

$ hcitool con
Connections:
$ hciconfig hci0 lm
hci0:	Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
	BD Address: 00:02:72:1E:E0:12  ACL MTU: 1021:7  SCO MTU: 64:1
	Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT

So that means that the adapter will want to be the slave in all
connections, is that right?

I should change the above slave to master as such:

$ sudo hciconfig hci0 lm master
$ hciconfig hci0 lm
hci0:	Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
	BD Address: 00:02:72:1E:E0:12  ACL MTU: 1021:7  SCO MTU: 64:1
	Link mode: MASTER

Is that correct?  Do I want to enable that "ACCEPT" also?

Once I do that, for my mouse at least, do I want to press the "Connect"
button on the mouse or use the Connect option for the mouse in the
bluetooth-applet?

b.