RFC: LE Security Manager and next steps

Hi Vinicius & All,

I am starting to move forward on the LE Security Manager for bluez. I am currently using the patches submitted by Vinicius for bluetooth-next, and hope that they are accepted by Gustavo soon, but at some point, I will be forced to move forward with or without that acceptance.

My more immediate attention is therefore placed on key storage (LTK, IRK, CSRK), and high level APIs, in particular Passkey agents for MITM support.

If anyone is working these problem already, I would like to discuss details, so that we are not coming up with competing solutions. The main reason I would like Vinicius' patches accepted sooner rather than later is so that I (and others) can start contributing these next pieces without creating a divergence headache.

To begin with, I am planning on making the key storage part of the existing system used by BR/EDR. I am primarily concerned with Dual Mode devices, and we believe that from a "big system" point of view, that most of the differences between remote dual-mode and remote LE-only can be largely abstracted and out of sight by high level apps. The main differences between LE keys and BR/EDR keys of course is that there are multiple keys per "pairs of devices", and except for LTKs, they are used very differently.

Also, I understand that some people think that Write-Cmd signing (CSRK) and verification should be a function of GATT/ATT in User space, and others think it should be handled down in the SM kernel on the way out (and in). I know that the crypto library is being brought into the kernel for STK resolution, and this would seem to point towards kernel based signing and verification.

Privacy is the biggest problem however. Identity *resolution* can of course be done at the kernel level but if addresses change, we will need to come up with a plan as to how to deal with everything up to and including dbus object-paths that currently include an ascii representation of the BD Addr as part of the path. At the highest (DBus) level I am thinking that a signal on the original object path might work when we connect/detect a new address for an existing device, and an object path which is then an extension of the originally paired device:

If Original was:
/org/bluez/3456/hci0/dev_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX

The Private could be:
/org/bluez/3456/hci0/dev_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX/priv_YY_YY_YY_YY_YY_YY

Anyway, we are starting work on this soon, so if there is competing/complimentary work being done, I would really like to hear from you. There is a lot to be done here, and I'd like to have the architectural conversations sooner rather than later.

I would also like to hear from you if you simply have a good idea of how you think these LE pieces should be architected, and haven't started writing code.

--
Brian Gix
bgix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx