Re: [RFC v2 00/14] Store UUID-128 on host order

Hi Luiz,

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Claudio Takahasi
> <claudio.takahasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It must NOT be included in the next release until proper testing.
>>
>> Any good soul wants to test it if I am not breaking SDP?
>>
>> The following patches convert the internal UUID128 values representation
>> to host order. Currently, SDP functions use host order to store UUID-16
>> /UUID32 and network order to store UUID-128 values. The reason is to
>> keep the consistency and re-use the UUID functions for ATT protocol
>> which uses little endian.
>>
>> Changes from the first RFC:
>> Â- Changes sdptool
>> Â- Changes SDP XML parsing function
>> Â- Changes attribute example
>>
>> Claudio Takahasi (14):
>> ÂMove 64 and 128 bits byte order functions to bluetooth.h
>> ÂUse host byte order when converting UUID16/32 to UUID128
>> ÂAdd att_get_u128
>> ÂConvert UUID128 value to host order when extracting SDP data
>> ÂConvert to network order before use it on sdp_uuid128_to_uuid
>> ÂConvert from host to network order before to print UUID128 values
>> ÂConvert from network to host order on bt_string2uuid function
>> ÂChange UUID128 host order on SDP PDU generation function
>> ÂReplace UUID128 values from char array to uint128_t on sdptool
>> ÂCreate UUID128 on host order on sdptool
>> ÂChange SDP XML parser to create UUID128 values on host order
>> ÂConvert from little endian to host order when parsing EIR data
>> ÂAdd att_put_u128
>> ÂChange Attribute example to create UUID128 on host order
>>
>> Âattrib/att.c     |  16 ++++--
>> Âattrib/att.h     |  17 ++++++
>> Âattrib/example.c   |  24 +++++---
>> Âattrib/gatt.c    Â|  14 +++--
>> Âattrib/gatttool.c  Â|  Â6 ++-
>> Âattrib/interactive.c | Â Â1 +
>> Âhealth/hdp_manager.c | Â Â1 +
>> Âhealth/mcap_sync.c  |  17 ------
>> Âlib/bluetooth.h   Â|  41 ++++++++++++++
>> Âlib/sdp.c      Â| Â108 ++++++++++++++-----------------------
>> Âlib/sdp.h      Â|  Â4 --
>> Âsrc/event.c     Â|  Â6 +--
>> Âsrc/glib-helper.c  Â|  31 ++++++-----
>> Âsrc/sdp-xml.c    Â|  74 +++++++++++--------------
>> Âtest/hciemu.c    Â|  16 ------
>> Âtools/sdptool.c   Â| Â145 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------
>> Â16 files changed, 280 insertions(+), 241 deletions(-)
>>
>> --
>> 1.7.4.1
>
> IMO it would be easier to have specific functions for uuid128 that can
> take data in host order, so that we don't break existing API. Note
> that the internal representation could be changed to host order, that
> is fine, but then you convert the existing function to do the
> conversion internally without breaking compatibility.
>
> --
> Luiz Augusto von Dentz
> Computer Engineer

Yes, it is easier. It will be necessary to add a function to convert
from little endian to big endian for ATT when the data is received.
I am not changing the API, it changes only the internal
representation(to host order) of the UUID128 values.

We got "blessing" from Marcel to proceed with this change, but I can
implement the easier solution ;-)

Marcel/Johan: comments?

BR,
Claudio