Re: [syzbot] [bluetooth?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Write in __hci_acl_create_connection_sync

Hi Jonas,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 7:29 PM Jonas Dreßler <verdre@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Luiz,
>
> On 09.02.24 14:36, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> > Hi Jonas,
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 7:37 AM Jonas Dreßler <verdre@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone!

> >> Hmm, looking at the backtraces, I think the issue that the introduction of the
> >> sequential connect has introduced another async case: In hci_connect_acl(), when
> >> we call hci_acl_create_connection_sync(), the conn state no longer immediately
> >> gets set to BT_CONNECT, but remains in BT_OPEN or BT_CLOSED until the hci_sync
> >> queue actually executes __hci_acl_create_connection_sync().
> >
> > Need to double check but I think we do set BT_CONNECT in case of LE
> > when it is queued so which shall prevent it to be queued multiple
> > times.
>
> Nope, we set it only from within the hci_sync callback, see
> hci_connect_le_sync(). IMO that makes sense, because in
> hci_abort_conn_sync(), we send a  HCI_OP_CREATE_CONN_CANCEL in case
> of conn->state == BT_CONNECT, and this OP we wouldn't want to send
> while the command is still waiting in the queue.

Yep, well I did a change which should work regardless of BT_CONNECT
only being set at the callback:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/bluetooth/patch/20240209141612.3554051-1-luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx/

> >> This means that now hci_connect_acl() is happy to do multiple
> >> hci_acl_create_connection_sync calls, and the hci_sync machinery will happily
> >> execute them right after each other. Then the newly introduced hci_abort_conn_sync()
> >> in __hci_acl_create_connection_sync() calls hci_conn_del() and frees the conn
> >> object, so the second time we enter __hci_acl_create_connection_sync(),
> >> things blow up.
> >>
> >> It looks to me like in theory the hci_connect_le_sync() logic is prone to a
> >> similar issue, but in practice that's prohibited because in hci_connect_le_sync()
> >> we lookup whether the conn object still exists and bail out if it doesn't.
> >>
> >> Even for LE though I think we can queue multiple hci_connect_le_sync() calls
> >> and those will happily send HCI_OP_LE_CREATE_CONN no matter what the connection
> >> state actually is?
> >>
> >> So assuming this analysis is correct, what do we do to fix this? It seems to me
> >> that
> >>
> >> 1) we want a BT_CONNECT_QUEUED state for connections, so that the state
> >> machine covers this additional stage that we have for ACL and LE connections now.
> >
> > BT_CONNECT already indicates that connection procedure is in progress.
>
> I still think an additional state is necessary. Alternatively (and maybe
> a lot nicer than the extra state) would be to add some functions to hci_sync
> to check for and remove queued/ongoing commands, I'm thinking of a new
>
> bool hci_cmd_sync_has(struct hci_dev *hdev, hci_cmd_sync_work_func_t func, void *data);
> void hci_cmd_sync_cancel(struct hci_dev *hdev, hci_cmd_sync_work_func_t func, void *data);
>
> I think if we had those, in addition to not needing the additional state,
> we could also simplify the hci_abort_conn() code quite a bit and possibly
> get rid of the passing of connection handles to hci_connect_le_sync().
>
> I'll give that a try and propose a small patch tomorrow.

Yeah, I did something like in the past for hci_cmd_sync_queue_once, I
will resend it since it had the following function as well:

bool hci_cmd_sync_lookup(struct hci_dev *hdev, hci_cmd_sync_work_func_t func,
             void *data, hci_cmd_sync_work_destroy_t destroy,
             bool cancel);

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz