Re: Using Laird Connectivity Bluetooth LE PTS dongle with Linux

Hi Bastien,

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 9:35 AM Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I bought the Laird Connectivity Bluetooth LE-only PTS dongle listed on:
> https://support.bluetooth.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049018492-What-is-the-difference-between-the-Profile-Tuning-Suite-PTS-Dongles-
> as I was hoping to have an easy to use Bluetooth LE only device for testing.

Never tried this one, the dual-mode should work though.

> But the device only shows up as a serial device under kernel 6.5 from
> my distribution.
>
> Is there anything specific that needs to be done for that device to be
> usable as a Bluetooth adapter under Linux? Or does it only work with
> the PTS?
>
> I spotted the ability to run specific software on the micro-controller
> itself when powered on, but nothing specific to using it as an adapter:
> http://assets.lairdtech.com/home/brandworld/files/BL654%20USB%20Dongle%20User%20Guide%20v1_0.pdf
>
> Full lsusb output for that device:
> Bus 001 Device 018: ID 1915:521f Nordic Semiconductor ASA Nordic Open
> DFU Bootloader
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x1915 Nordic Semiconductor ASA
>   idProduct          0x521f
>   bcdDevice            1.00
>   iManufacturer           1 Laird Connectivity
>   iProduct                2 Nordic Open DFU Bootloader
>   iSerial                 3 E1BB9211FA41
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength       0x004b
>     bNumInterfaces          2
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          4 Default configuration
>     bmAttributes         0xc0
>       Self Powered
>     MaxPower              100mA
>     Interface Association:
>       bLength                 8
>       bDescriptorType        11
>       bFirstInterface         0
>       bInterfaceCount         2
>       bFunctionClass          2 Communications
>       bFunctionSubClass       2 Abstract (modem)
>       bFunctionProtocol       0
>       iFunction               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
> [...]

If it is from Nordic you might want to check if it runs Zephyr on it,
perhaps there is some special command needed to switch to standard USB
Bluetooth Class.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz