Intermittent Not connectable devices reported

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi device that performs periodic BLE discovery and tries to connect to multiple devices. Most of the times this goes fine but especially in BLE heavy environments every now and then it fails because it says that the device is not found. I have been debugging this issue for a few weeks now and it comes down to this:

   • Connect to DBus to start the discovery
   • Devices are found, interfacesAdded callbacks are made, everything looks fine
   • Stop discovery
   • Directly some devices are removed by the interfacesRemoved callback
   • My code does not get the device it searches for -> unhappy user

What happens under the hood is that DBus removes all devices from it's cache that have been indicated by Bluez as being Not connectable. I.e. there is no use in keeping them around, you can't connect to them anyway. But... this is not true for the device I'm looking for. It is marked as Not connectable incorrectly.
So to chase down the problem I create a btmon dump which shows indeed that the device is reported to be Not connectable after having received a SCAN_RSP:

> HCI Event: LE Meta Event (0x3e) plen 38 #73 [hci0] 34.359921
LE Advertising Report (0x02)
Num reports: 1
Event type: Scan response - SCAN_RSP (0x04)
Address type: Public (0x00)
Address: F4:B8:5E:64:02:55 (Texas Instruments)
Data length: 26
Name (complete): BeeWi SmartLite
Peripheral Conn. Interval: 0x0028 - 0x0050
TX power: 0 dBm
RSSI: -42 dBm (0xd6)
@ MGMT Event: Device Found (0x0012) plen 40 {0x0001} [hci0] 34.360057
LE Address: F4:B8:5E:64:02:55 (Texas Instruments)
RSSI: -42 dBm (0xd6)
Flags: 0x00000004
Not Connectable
Data length: 26
Name (complete): BeeWi SmartLite
Peripheral Conn. Interval: 0x0028 - 0x0050
TX power: 0 dBm

But all ADV_IND PDU's before that clearly indicate that the device is connectable, it is only after this SCAN_RSP that it is reported as Not connectable:

> HCI Event: LE Meta Event (0x3e) plen 27 #46 [hci0] 34.152817
LE Advertising Report (0x02)
Num reports: 1
Event type: Connectable undirected - ADV_IND (0x00)
Address type: Public (0x00)
Address: F4:B8:5E:64:02:55 (Texas Instruments)
Data length: 15
Flags: 0x06
LE General Discoverable Mode
BR/EDR Not Supported