Re: why scan_disable during hciops_power_off

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Pavan Savoy <pavan_savoy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> when hciops gets a set_powered with powered=0, then hciops_power_off is called.
>> However in here we write the SCAN_ENABLE (=0) to the device and then
>> do the HCIDEVDOWN...
>>
>> so couple of questions,
>> 1. are there controllers there which even after doing hci0 down,
>> allows other devices to be scanned?
>> for those what do hci0 down mean ? radio not switched off ?
>
> Good point, perhaps this is driver dependent, so we do it just be safe guard.

I hope all devices and drivers out there consider the hci0 down as the
radio OFF,
I don't think there is a reason for it to be otherwise....
so why the safe-guard ?

>> 2. what happens to the response? in case hci0 down is considered as
>> say close of UART?
>> There is a case I have a combo chip, and I need to keep UART opened,
>> because someone else is using the UART, and then
>> I do this power_off, the hci0 interface is down, and bluetooth just
>> dumps down the scan_disable and quits, but the response
>> which comes from the device has no takers....
>>
>> so shouldn't hciops use a hci_send_req before HCIDEVDOWN ?
>
> It should and Im almost sure we do send it before, if we do sent it
> latter than it is probably a bug.

we do send it before, but don't really care about the response.
I was mentioning here use of hci_send_req instead of hci_send_cmd
before HCIDEVDOWN, so
that the function waits for response and finishes up work before the DEVDOWN....