How can I pair a BT HID device so I can read its input, but not have it mapped to the console

I have a home automation project where I would like to use a B&O
Beoremote One as an input to a Raspberry PI via Bluetooth using Bluez.

I can pair and trust the device via bluetoothctl and once connected I
get a couple of devices at /dev/input/event3, event4, event5.

Using the python evdev module, I can read every key on the remote
(yay). That gives me enough to be able to write a module to plug into
openhab etc.

The problem is that the remote is also being bound as an input device
for the console. Most of the buttons are not treated as input keys,
except media playback, arrows, and most annoyingly the power off
button. Which has the adverse effect of shutting down the RPI. I would
like to be able to use the remote without any unexpected side effects
of its input being interpreted by the console.

How can I keep it bound so that I can read the input through
/dev/input/event*, but not have it bound to the console?

Thanks,

Sam