RE: [RFC] LE connections and advertising management

-----Original Message-----
From: Claudio Takahasi [mailto:claudio.takahasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 11:55 AM
To: Mike Tsai
Cc: BlueZ development
Subject: Re: [RFC] LE connections and advertising management

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Mike Tsai <Mike.Tsai@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
[Claudio Takahasi]
Hi Mike,

At the moment it is not clear to me if an "application handle" will be
needed, maybe we can also hide it from the higher layers. All requests
are serialized and for each request there is a response, the
exceptions are write without response and notification. Each primary
service representation will have an object path, meaning that maybe it
is possible forward the response to the right source based on the last
request and handle information.

GAttrib will not be exposed to the UI. UI needs to access BlueZ GATT
clients services using D-Bus.
GATT clients in general will have two pieces:
 1- UI: Qt, GTK, python, ...
 2- "module" in the BlueZ for profile specific tasks and D-Bus service
interface.

You can find the current attribute API in the file: doc/attribute-api.txt

Claudio

[Mike Tsai]
Hi Claudio,

	I look at the API and it is well-defined with high level of abstraction. However, I did have a few questions here, hopefully you can answer them,

	On Client side:

		1. I see you didn't offer any service discovery API for client to discover the server service database (basically to get the attribute handles). So I assume that you consider GATT discovery procedure works the same way as SDP, done automatically by GATT after link is established without application's initiative. Am I correct?

		2. The characteristic descriptor set via SetProperty API is limited to the 6 characteristic descriptors defined in GATT spec. However, there could be profile specific characteristic descriptors beyond these, will the SetProperty able to support these?

		3. The characteristic monitoring is set up via 128 bits UUID. Do you have mechanism to handle duplicated characteristic within a server's database? How do you identify them via your API?

	On Server side:

		1. Is there an API that allows server application to register new attributes? (primary service, characteristic, included service, et al),

Regards,

Mike