Re: Proposed API for HDP

El Thursday 08 July 2010 21:13:05 Gustavo F. Padovan escribió:
> Hi José,
>
> * José Antonio Santos Cadenas <santoscadenas@xxxxxxxxx> [2010-07-08 20:36:00
+0200]:
> > El Thursday 08 July 2010 19:54:30 Gustavo F. Padovan escribió:
> > > Hi José,
> > >
> > > * José Antonio Santos Cadenas <santoscadenas@xxxxxxxxx> [2010-07-08
> > > 19:12:31 +0200]:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > So are we really going to expose the temporally disconnect and
> > > reconnection to the applicantion level? The application should not
> > > care if the data channel is there or not.
> >
> > We changed our mind about this issue because there are cases were an
> > implicit reconnection will not be possible (when the remote do not
> > publish an SDP record) so if the application is concerned about this
> > issues could try to avoid this kind of failure waiting for the remote to
> > reconnect the data channel.
>
> Is this better than simplify the API removing the Reconnection stuff?
> On average how much time takes to reconnect achieve the timeout?
> BTW, failure can occur on OpenDataChannel as well, that just happens.

I think it is better because you can deal with more situations. Imagine that
reconnections are performed implicitly. When you try to send data over a
closed channel, a reconnection will be attempted and fail because the remote
does not publish an SDP record. In this case the application perceives a
failure sending data and the channel will be ignored definitely. In the other
hand, if reconnections are explicit you know that the failure was during the
reconnection and it is up to the application to decide if the channel should
be closed or just wait until the remote device reconnects it.