Re: obexd FTP server signals

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Vinicius Gomes
<vinicius.gomes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Daniel Abraham
> <daniel.shrugged@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But I'd like to have a level of granularity similar to the FTP client:
>> signals about starting/progress/canceling/completing transfers, which
>> specific kinds of trasfers are done (list folder, get file, put file,
>> etc.).
>
> At first we considered some form of status reporting, but after
> thinking and looking at other "file sharing" servers we noticed that
> it was not really useful for the server to report that information,
> for example, sshd and any ftp server, don't have any form of status
> reporting.
>
> In those cases only the client reports the status, because the client
> is where the user has control. I don't think obexd is much different
> from those servers.
>
> But, do you have a concrete case for this?

1. Using it as a benchmark platform

In that case, the server is the focus point for gathering data
(consistently), and the clients are just remote black boxes. If I
can't expect and respond to specific events, I'd have to write
equivalent apps for each OS, which is sometimes impossible, and then
hope that methodology & measurements are consistent.

2. Basis for server activity logging

3. Less specific, but the sky is the limit: enabling server-side
timeouts/triggers/dynamic content/etc. - based on the user actions,
flows, history...

Anyway, my personal interest is in automating, logging and timing file
transfers from/to unknown remote clients.

Thanks