Re: Logitech Bluetooth mouse batteries drain quickly

Iain Hibbert wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:

I have a rather strange problem. I bought a Logitech Bluetooth mouse some time
ago. It works very well in Ubuntu and I never had any usage problems.

The strange thing is though, that the batteries that are inside the mouse
drain extremely quickly. I compared the time it takes the mouse to drain a set
full batteries to my flatmate's who uses the exact same mouse with Mac OS X.
It turns out that my batteries drain about four times as quickly as his.

how quickly is 'extremely quickly' ?

I have the mouse for about 7 months now. This is my 4rd or 5th pair of batteries I think.

I suspect however that Bluez is somehow talking with the device in such a way
the mouse doesn't sleep as quickly as when Mac OS X talks to it. Could this
somehow be the case? If so, what could I do to help solve this with Bluez?

what are the link policy settings for that link? (see hcitool(1))

for instance, if I don't enable SNIFF mode then my [Apple] keyboard drains
the batteries in a few days, vs many weeks otherwise ..

Yes, it's indeed not days, but months. Here is the output from hcitool:
Link policy settings: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK

So this looks good I guess?

When I look at the info, I get this:
Requesting information ...
        BD Address:  00:07:61:DF:0D:C7
        Device Name: Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse
        LMP Version: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subversion: 0x229
        Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)
        Features: 0xbc 0x02 0x04 0x38 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00
                <sniff mode> <RSSI> <power control> <enhanced iscan>
                <interlaced iscan> <interlaced pscan> <AFH cap. slave>

Could the problem be related to the "power control" feature which may not be fully used right now?

Julius