Re: SBC big endian issues?

On Monday 19 January 2009 17:02:03 ext Brad Midgley wrote:
> > Also an interesting observation is that gstreamer is very slow. Using
> > gst-launch to encode audio file to SBC is something like 1.5 times slower
> > than sbcenc utility when benchmarked on x86 system. I wonder if
> > something could be done about this.
>
> I noticed something similar back in 3.x. On an xscale, it went from
> about 15% cpu usage under libalsa to 50% using gst-launch.

By the way, if that XScale chip is IWMMXT capable, it can benefit from SIMD
optimizations too. This should probably reduce CPU usage way below 15%.

Moreover, IWMMXT is essentially an MMX clone for ARM, so x86 MMX code can
be directly converted to it.

> Is there a best practices for gstreamer that the plugin is not following?

I'm not quite familiar with gstreamer yet, but these performance issues might
be really worth investigating...

Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka