Re: SBC big endian issues?

Siarhei

The copy is inefficient but it would be even better if we didn't have
to do it at all. I was investigating zero copy here and came up with a
patch but it was too complicated to be accepted.

The messy part here is we let the caller specify the byte order of the
array. It would simplify a lot to standardize on host endian. I don't
remember what the reasoning was against this.

> Let's suppose that we have the following two bytes in memory:
>
> 0x12 0x34
>
> This equals to 0x1234 for big endian systems or 0x3412 for little endian
> systems if you read data via int16_t * pointer.

if sbc->endian is set to the same as the host endian, then this could
be done with a memcopy or skipped (zero copy).

I believe sbc->endian is always set to little endian the way it works
now, meaning the array is storing data little endian regardless of the
architecture. The patch I wrote made a copy of the memory, swapping
bytes, if sbc->endian didn't match host endian. The way we use the
code, this swapping only happens on big endian machines.

--
Brad Midgley