Re: [GIT PULL] Block fixes for 6.3-rc3

On 3/17/23 12:35?PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:16?AM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> - blk-mq SRCU fix for BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING devices (Christ)
>
> Christ indeed.
>
> But I think you meant "Chris".

Oops yes indeed, good catch. Though I'd love to think that if we did
have a resurrection of that nature, blk-mq would be high on the list of
things to hack on.

>> Side note - when doing the usual allmodconfig builds with gcc-12 and
>> clang before sending them out, for the latter I see this warning being
>> spewed with clang-15:
>>
>> drivers/media/i2c/m5mols/m5mols.o: warning: objtool: m5mols_set_fmt() falls through to next function m5mols_get_frame_desc()
>>
>> Obviously not related to my changes, but mentioning it in case it has
>> been missed as I know you love squeaky clean builds :-). Doesn't happen
>> with clang-14.
>
> Hmm. I have clang-15 too, but I do the allmodconfig builds with gcc,
> and only my own "normal config" builds with clang.

I just do both to avoid anything odd, it's just a few min each.

> So I don't see this particular issue and my builds are still squeaky clean.
>
> That said, when I explicitly try that allmodconfig thing with clang, I
> can see it too. And the reason seems to be something we've seen
> before: UBSAN functions being considered non-return by clang, so clang
> generates code like this:

> .LBB24_3:
>         callq   __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc@PLT
>         movl    $2, %esi
>         movq    $.L__unnamed_3, %rdi
>         callq   __ubsan_handle_out_of_bounds
> .Lfunc_end24:
>         .size   m5mols_set_fmt, .Lfunc_end24-m5mols_set_fmt
>
> ie the last thing in that m5mols_set_fmt() function is a call to
> __ubsan_handle_out_of_bounds, and then it "falls through" to the next
> function.
>
> And yes, I absolutely *detest* how clang does that. Not only does it
> cause objtool sanity checking issues, it fundamentally means that we
> can never treat UBSAN warnings as warnings. They are always fatal.
>
> This is a *huge* clang mis-feature, and I forget what we decided last
> that we saw it.

Gotcha, thanks for digging into that. I must admit I didn't look any
further at it, but figured it was worth reporting...

--
Jens Axboe