RE: [LSF/MM/BPF BoF]: A host FTL for zoned block devices using UBLK

> > The module itself could be extracted from SPDK into its own, or SPDK's
> > ublk extension could be used to instantiate it. In any case, I think
> > it could provide a solid foundation for a host-side FTL
> > implementation.
>
> Thanks Matias for the link. I had not yet heard about this project.
> Although I have not yet had the time to watch the video, on
> https://spdk.io/doc/ftl.html I found the following: "The Flash Translation Layer
> library provides efficient 4K block device access on top of devices with >4K
> write unit size (eg. raid5f bdev) or devices with large indirection units (some
> capacity-focused NAND drives), which don't handle 4K writes well. It handles
> the logical to physical address mapping and manages the garbage collection
> process." To me that sounds like an effort that has very similar goals as ZNS and
> ZBC? Does the following advice apply to that project: "Don't stack your log on
> my log"? (Yang, Jingpei, Ned Plasson, Greg Gillis, Nisha Talagala, and
> Swaminathan Sundararaman. "Don’t stack your log on my log." In 2nd
> Workshop on Interactions of NVM/Flash with Operating Systems and
> Workloads ({INFLOW} 14). 2014.)

Hi Bart,

Yep, it does. The early incarnation of the ftl module was targeted as an OCSSD-compatible host-side FTL. It was later extended to support large writes and caching devices (e.g., optane). Mariuz and Wojciech have had the pleasure of building it, as well as enabled ZNS support that'll soon be upstream.

Regards, Matias