Re: [LSF/MM/BPF BoF]: extend UBLK to cover real storage hardware

On 2/6/23 07:00, Ming Lei wrote:
4) DMA
- DMA requires physical memory address, UBLK driver actually has
block request pages, so can we export request SG list(each segment
physical address, offset, len) into userspace? If the max_segments
limit is not too big(<=64), the needed buffer for holding SG list
can be small enough.

- small amount of physical memory for using as DMA descriptor can be
pre-allocated from userspace, and ask kernel to pin pages, then still
return physical address to userspace for programming DMA

- this way is still zero copy

Would it be possible to use vfio in such a way that zero-copy
functionality is achieved? I'm concerned about the code duplication that
would result if a new interface similar to vfio is introduced.

In case it wouldn't be clear, I'm also interested in this topic.

Bart.