Re: [External] [LSF/MM/BPF BoF] Session for Zoned Storage 2023

>> My point here that we could summarize:
>> (1) what features already implemented and supported,
>> (2) what features are under implementation and what is progress,
>> (3) what features need to be implemented yet.
>>
>> Have we implemented everything already? :)
>
> Standards are full of features that are not useful in a general purpose
> system. So we likely never will implement everything. We never did for
> SCSI and ATA and never will either.
Indeed, and that's a very important point. Some people read specs and
find things that aren't in the Linux driver (any spec, not a specific
one), and think they need to be added. No. We only add them if they make
sense, both in terms of use cases, but also as long as they can get
implemented cleanly. Parts of basically any spec is garbage and don't
necessarily fit within the given subsystem either.

The above would make me worried about patches coming from anyone with
that mindset.

--
Jens Axboe