Re: reduce the dependency on modules

On May 30, 2022 / 15:08, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Shin'ichiro,
>
> this series reduces the dependency of blktests on modular builds
> of various block drivers.  There are still plenty of tests that
> do require modules, mostly because a lot of scsi_debug and null_blk
> can only be set at load time, but I plan to address those in the
> kernel soon.

Hi Christoph, thank you for the pathces. I think this is the nice first-step to
avoid the module load dependency.

I tried to run blktests with the patches. At first, I kept blktests dependent
drivers as modules, and observed no additional failure. Good. As the next step,
I ran blktests making blktests dependent drivers built into kernel, and observed
some unexpected behaviors. For example, block/016, which calls _init_null_blk,
was not skipped and failed. block/025, which calls _init_scsi_debug was
terminated unexpectedly. I made related comments on 5th and 9th patches.

My other comments are nits. Many of them are related to shellcheck warnings. It
will be appreciated to run 'make check' command to see the warnings and clean
them up.

--
Shin'ichiro Kawasaki