Re: Follow up on UBD discussion

On Mon, May 09, 2022 at 12:05:54PM +0800, Xiaoguang Wang wrote:
> hi,

> >> Hi Ming,
> >>
> >> Now I am learning your userspace block driver(UBD) [1][2] and we plan to
> >> replace TCMU by UBD as a new choice for implementing userspace bdev for
> >> its high performance and simplicity.
> >>
> >> First, we have conducted some tests by fio and perf to evaluate UBD.
> >>
> >> 1) UBD achieves higher throughput than TCMU. We think TCMU suffers from
> >>      the complicated SCSI layer and does not support multiqueue. However
> >> UBD is simply using io_uring passthrough and may support multiqueue in
> >> the future.(Note that even with a single queue now , UBD outperforms TCMU)
> > MQ isn't hard to support, and it is basically workable now:
> >
> > https://github.com/ming1/ubdsrv/commits/devel
> > https://github.com/ming1/linux/commits/my_for-5.18-ubd-devel
> >
> > Just the affinity of pthread for each queue isn't setup yet.
> >
> >> 2) Some functions in UBD result in high CPU utilization and we guess
> >> they also lower throughput. For example, ubdsrv_submit_fetch_commands()
> >> frequently iterates on the array of UBD IOs and wastes CPU when no IO is
> >> ready to be submitted. Besides,  ubd_copy_pages() asks CPU to copy data
> >> between bio vectors and UBD internal buffers while handling write and
> >> read requests and it could be eliminated by supporting zero-copy.
> > copy itself doesn't take much cpu, see the following trace:
> >
> > -   34.36%     3.73%  ubd              [kernel.kallsyms]             [k] ubd_copy_pages.isra.0                               ▒
> >    - 30.63% ubd_copy_pages.isra.0                                                                                            ▒
> >       - 23.86% internal_get_user_pages_fast                                                                                  ▒
> >          + 21.14% get_user_pages_unlocked                                                                                    ▒
> >          + 2.62% lockless_pages_from_mm                                                                                      ▒
> >         6.42% ubd_release_pages.constprop.0
> >
> > And we may provide option to allow to pin pages in the disk lifetime for avoiding
> > the cost in _get_user_pages_fast().
> >
> > zero-copy has to touch page table, and its cost may be expensive too.
> > The big problem is that MM doesn't provide mechanism to support generic
> > remapping kernel pages to userspace.
> >
> >> Second, I'd like to share some ideas on UBD. I'm not sure if they are
> >> reasonable so please figure out my mistakes.
> >>
> >> 1) UBD issues one sqe to commit last completed request and fetch a new
> >> one. Then, blk-mq's queue_rq() issues a new UBD IO request and completes
> >> one cqe for the fetch command. We have evaluated that io_submit_sqes()
> >> costs some CPU and steps of building a new sqe may lower throughput.
> >> Here I'd like to give a new solution: never submit sqe but trump up a
> >> cqe(with information of new UBD IO request) when calling queue_rq(). I
> >> am inspired by one io_uring flag: IORING_POLL_ADD_MULTI, with which a
> [...]

The above way is actually anti io_uring design, and I don't think it may
improve much since submitting UBD_IO_COMMIT_AND_FETCH_REQ is pretty lightweight.

Also without re-submitting UBD_IO_COMMIT_AND_FETCH_REQ command, how can you
commit io handling result from ubd server and ask ubd driver to complete
io request?

Thanks,
Ming