Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] block drivers in user space

Sagi Grimberg <sagi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> FYI, I have absolutely no interest in supporting any userspace hooks
>> in nvmet.
>
> Don't think we are discussing adding anything specific to nvmet, a
> userspace backend will most likely sit behind a block device exported
> via nvmet (at least from my perspective). Although I do see issues
> with using the passthru interface...
>
>> If you want a userspace nvme implementation please use SPDK.
>
> The original use-case did not include nvmet, I may have stirred
> the pot saying that we have nvmet loopback instead of a new kind
> of device with a new set of tools.
>
> I don't think that spdk meets even the original android use-case.
>
> Not touching nvmet is fine, it just eliminates some of the possible
> use-cases. Although personally I don't see a huge issue with adding
> yet another backend to nvmet...

After discussing with google for the r/w/flush use-case (cloud, not
android), they are interested in avoiding the source of complexity that
arises from implementing the NVMe protocol in the interface.  Even if it
is hidden behind a userspace library, it means converting block
rq->nvme->block rq, which might have a performance impact?