Re: [LSF/MM/BPF BoF] BoF for Zoned Storage

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 09:33:06PM +0000, Matias Bjørling wrote:
> [...]

Although I was sad to see there was no raw access to a block zoned
storage device, the above makes me kind of happy that this is the case
today. Why? Because there is an implicit requirement on management of
data on zone storage devices outside of regular storage SSDs, and if
its not considered and *very well documented*, in agreement with us
all, we can end up with folks slightly surprised with these
requirements.

An application today can't directly manage these objects so that's not
even possible today. And in fact it's not even clear if / how we'll get
there.

So in the meantime the only way to access zones directly, if an application
wants anything close as possible to the block layer, the only way is
through the VFS through zonefs. I can hear people cringing even if you
are miles away. If we want an improvement upon this, whatever API we come
up with we *must* clearly embrace and document the requirements /
responsiblities above.