Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] block drivers in user space

On 3/3/22 00:04, Gabriel Krisman Bertazi wrote:
Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx> writes:

Actually, I'd rather have something like an 'inverse io_uring', where an
application creates a memory region separated into several 'ring' for
submission and completion.
Then the kernel could write/map the incoming data onto the rings, and
application can read from there.
Maybe it'll be worthwhile to look at virtio here.

But in either case, using fds or pipes for commands doesn't really
scale, as the number of fds is inherently limited. And using fds
restricts you to serial processing (as you can read only sequentially
from a fd); with mmap() you'll get a greater flexibility and the option
of parallel processing.

Hannes,

I'm not trying to push an fd implementation, and seems clear that
io_uring is the right way to go.  But isn't fd virtually unlimited,
as they can be extended up to procfs's file-max for a specific user?

In principle, yes. But in practice there will _always_ be a limit (even if you raise the limit you _still_ have a limit), as essentially the number of files is the size of the fd array table. So you can only have a very large number of fds, but not an infinite number of fds.

And experience with multipath-tools have taught us that you hit the fd limit far more often than you thought; we've seen installations where we had to increase the fd limit beyond 4096
(Mind you, multipath-tools is using only two fds per device).

So on those installations we'll be running out of fds pretty fast if we start using one fd per I/O.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688