Re: [bug report] block/005 hangs with NVMe device and linux-block/for-next

On Nov 01, 2021 / 17:01, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 11/1/21 6:41 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On 11/1/21 2:34 AM, Shinichiro Kawasaki wrote:
> >> I tried the latest linux-block/for-next branch tip (git hash b43fadb6631f and
> >> observed a process hang during blktests block/005 run on a NVMe device.
> >> Kernel message reported "INFO: task check:1224 blocked for more than 122
> >> seconds." with call trace [1]. So far, the hang is 100% reproducible with my
> >> system. This hang is not observed with HDDs or null_blk devices.
> >>
> >> I bisected and found the commit 4f5022453acd ("nvme: wire up completion batching
> >> for the IRQ path") triggers the hang. When I revert this commit from the
> >> for-next branch tip, the hang disappears. The block/005 test case does IO
> >> scheduler switch during IO, and the completion path change by the commit looks
> >> affecting the scheduler switch. Comments for solution will be appreciated.
> >
> > I'll take a look at this.
>
> I've tried running various things most of the day, and I cannot
> reproduce this issue nor do I see what it could be. Even if requests are
> split between batched completion and one-by-one completion, it works
> just fine for me. No special care needs to be taken for put_many() on
> the queue reference, as the wake_up() happens for the ref going to zero.
>
> Tell me more about your setup. What does the runtimes of the test look
> like? Do you have all schedulers enabled? What kind of NVMe device is
> this?

Thank you for spending your precious time. With the kernel without the hang,
the test case completes around 20 seconds. When the hang happens, the check
script process stops at blk_mq_freeze_queue_wait() at scheduler change, and fio
workload processes stop at __blkdev_direct_IO_simple(). The test case does not
end, so I need to reboot the system for the next trial. While waiting the test
case completion, the kernel repeats the same INFO message every 2 minutes.

Regarding the scheduler, I compiled the kernel with mq-deadline and kyber.

The NVMe device I use is a U.2 NVMe ZNS SSD. It has a zoned name space and
a regular name space, and the hang is observed with both name spaces. I have
not yet tried other NVME devices, so I will try them.

> FWIW, this is upstream now, so testing with Linus -git would be
> preferable.

I see. I have switched from linux-block for-next branch to the upstream branch
of Linus. At git hash 879dbe9ffebc, and still the hang is observed.

--
Best Regards,
Shin'ichiro Kawasaki