Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] durability vs performance for flash devices (especially embedded!)

On 6/9/21 3:53 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> Consumer devices are pushed to use the highest capacity emmc class
> devices, but they have horrible write durability.
>
> At the same time, we layer on top of these devices our normal stack -
> device mapper and ext4 or f2fs are common configurations today - which
> causes write amplification and can burn out storage even faster. I think
> it would be useful to discuss how we can minimize the write
> amplification when we need to run on these low end parts & see where the
> stack needs updating.
>
> Great background paper which inspired me to spend time tormenting emmc
> parts is:
>
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~porter/pubs/hotos17-final29.pdf

Without having read that paper, has zoned storage been considered? F2FS
already supports zoned block devices. I'm not aware of a better solution
to reduce write amplification for flash devices. Maybe I'm missing
something?

More information is available in this paper:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3458336.3465300.

Thanks,

Bart.