Re: [Bug Report] Discard bios cannot be correctly merged in blk-mq

> 2021年06月09日 08:41,Ming Lei <ming.lei@xxxxxxxxxx> 写道:
>
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 11:49:04PM +0800, Wang Shanker wrote:
>>

>> Actually, what are received by the nvme controller are discard requests
>> with 128 segments of 4k, instead of one segment of 512k.
>
> Right, I am just wondering if this way makes a difference wrt. single
> range/segment discard request from device viewpoint, but anyway it is
> better to send less segment.
It would be meaningful if more than queue_max_discard_segments() bio's
are sent and merged into big segments.

>>> In the above setting and raid456 test, I observe that rq->nr_phys_segments can
>>> reach 128, but queue_max_discard_segments() reports 256. So discard
>>> request size can be 512KB, which is the max size when you run 1MB discard on
>>> raid456. However, if the discard length on raid456 is increased, the
>>> current way will become inefficient.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> I suggest that bio's can be merged and be calculated as one segment if they are
>> contiguous and contain no data.
>
> Fine.
>

>> And I also discovered later that, even normal long write requests, e.g.
>> a 10m write, will be split into 4k bio's. The maximum number of bio's which can
>> be merged into one request is limited by queue_max_segments, regardless
>> of whether those bio's are contiguous. In my test environment, for scsi devices,
>> queue_max_segments can be 254, which means about 1m size of requests. For nvme
>> devices(e.g. Intel DC P4610), queue_max_segments is only 33 since their mdts is 5,
>> which results in only 132k of requests.
>
> Here what matters is queue_max_discard_segments().
Here I was considering normal write/read bio's, since I first took it for granted
that normal write/read IOs would be optimal in raid456, and finally discovered
that those 4k IOs can only be merged into not-so-big requests.

>> So, I would also suggest that raid456 should be improved to issue bigger bio's to
>> underlying drives.
>
> Right, that should be root solution.
>
> Cc Xiao, I remembered that he worked on this area.

Many thanks for looking into this issue.

Cheers,

Miao Wang