Re: question about relative control for sync io using bfq

> Il giorno 7 feb 2021, alle ore 13:49, yukuai (C) <yukuai3@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>

> On 2021/02/05 15:49, Paolo Valente wrote:
>>> Il giorno 29 gen 2021, alle ore 09:28, yukuai (C) <yukuai3@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response, and my apologize for the delay, my tmie
>>> is very limited recently.
>>>
>> I do know that problem ...
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about this, so I test it with iocost in mq and cfq in sq,
>>> result shows that they do can provide bandwidth isolation with sync I/O
>>> without significant performance degradation.
>> Yep, that means just that, with your specific workload, bandwidth
>> isolation gets guaranteed without idling.  So that's exactly one of
>> the workloads for which I'm suggesting my handling of a special case.
>>>
>>> We aredy tried this, the problem will dispeare if only one group is
>>> active. And I think this modification is reasonable because
>>> bandwidth isolation is not necessary in this case.
>>>
>> Thanks for your feedback. I'll consider submitting this change.
>>> However, considering the common case, when more than one
>>> group is active, and one of the group is issuing sync IO, I think
>>> we need to find a way to prevent the preformance degradation.
>> I agree.  What do you think of my suggestion for solving the problem?
>> Might you help with that?
>
> Hi
>
> Do you mead the suggestion that you mentioned in another email:
> "a varied_rq_size flag, similar to the varied_weights flag" ?
> I'm afraid that's just a circumvention plan, not a solution to the
> special case.

I'm a little confused.  Could you explain why you think this is a
circumvention plan?  Maybe even better, could you describe in detail
the special case you have in mind?  We could start from there, to think
of a possible, satisfactory solution.

> By the way, I'm glad if there is anything I can help, however it'll
> wait for a few days cause the Spring Festival is coming.

Ok, Happy Spring Festival then.

Thanks.
Paolo