Re: packet writing support

On Sun, 2019-10-06 at 09:10 -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 10/6/19 1:31 AM, Mischa Baars wrote:
> > Hi Jens,

> > > The reasons are mostly that it's ancient technology and my doubt was
> > > that nobody used it, and it's completely unmaintained code as well.
> > >

> > How can it be ancient technology when CD-, DVD- and Blueray-writers
> > are being sold by the thousands at this very moment? Floppy disk
> > drives on the other hand were invented in 1967. This is the ancient
> > technology you're looking for.
>
> It's a suboptimal solution to the fact that devices were put to market
> that required > page sized writes at the time. Hence pktcdvd sits in
> between and ensures that we write out blocks that are big enough. If the
> kernel supported > page size block sizes on file systems, pktdvd would
> be superflous.
>
> And please stops bringing up floppy, it's totally irrelevant to this
> conversation.

> > > If there are folks using the code (successfully), it's not going away.
> > > But I can't quite tell from your email if you're just planning to use
> > > it, or if you are using it already and it's working great for you?
> > >

> > Yes, I've written the the code myself, thank you. It's prototype
> > hardware and it's not intended as an open source software project. It
> > is therefore not going to be released to the general public. When it's
> > finished, and it isn't at the moment, it's hopefully going to be part
> > of your future processors.
>
> Let's keep this very simple:
>
> 1) Have you used the pktcdvd code at all? How much?

Where are talking about the kernel/drivers/block/pktcdvd.ko.xz module. I have not used it directly, as it is a kernel module. Instead I have been working with
K3b, the KDE cdwriting software package.

Quite a lot actually, let's say I have written about 11 * 25 cd's / dvd's in total. Without any problems. They are all still readable too, even after all this
time (about ten years).

> 2) If yes to the first question, has it been stable?

Very stable if you ask me. Flawless even.

> > I did however find a enormous lot of bugs (in the kernel, the
> > compiler, and in latex) since the project start, that deserve the
> > attention of the opensource community. The bugs will come available to
> > you in time. We can work on a better kernel and compiler together.
>
> So bugs in pktcdvd? Or others parts?

No, no bugs in pktcdvd. No fixing to do whatsoever.

> > > It's not really a case of quid pro quo, if someone gets removed,
> > > something else can stay. I'd argue that the floppy driver is probably
> > > used by orders of magnitude more people than the packet writing code,
> > > and as such that makes it much more important to maintain.
> > >

> > Who are you talking about? Are you asking to be removed? I'm afraid I
> > don't quite understand.
>
> I'm saying that you are comparing apples to oranges. The floppy driver
> might be older tech, but it's much more used than pktcdvd. It's not the
> case that we must pick one over the other, in terms of what stays and
> what goes.

Yes we are, sort of. You can even have my pear. That's exactly the problem with your story :)

A DVD is 4Gb and Blueray goes all the way up to 100Gb, while a floppy disc is 1.44Mb. Who would want to write his backup files to 1.44Mb floppy disc these days?

Regards,
Mischa.