Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] NVMe Performance: Userspace vs Kernel

(resending, as my phone email client turned this into html crap)

> Hi Bart,
>
> I configured 5.0-rc6 and had a look at the io_uring code. Finally worked out how to use FIO's t/io_uring to submit IO and poll completions without system calls. My _initial_ numbers still show SPDK being faster and more efficient.
>
> Searching the lists, I found a few mentions that Jens published a comparison stating otherwise, but I can't find it. Could you please give me some pointers?

I posted some numbers with v5:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/20190116175003.17880-1-axboe@xxxxxxxxx/

Sounds like you are using sqpoll, you probably don’t want to do that for
peak performance. And you probably want to experiment a bit to reach the
best performance, both in terms of setup/placement and kernel
configuration, runtime options (like iostats), etc.

--
Jens Axboe