Re: recent issues with heavy delete's causing soft lockups

On 11/2/18 2:32 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:20:10 PM MDT Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2018, at 12:40 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> [snip]
>>
>> Can you try 4.19? A patch went in since 4.18 that fixes a starvation issue
>> around requeue conditions, which SATA is the one to most often hit.
>>
>> Jens
>
> I just had to do a clean, and I have the mq kernel options I mentioned in my
> previous mail enabled. (mq should be disabled) and it appears to still be
> causing issues. current io scheduler appears to be cfq, and it took that "make
> clean" about 4 minutes, a lot of that time was spent with plasma, intelij, and
> chrome all starved of IO.
>
> I did switch to a terminal and checked iostat -d 1, and it showed very little
> actual io for the time I was looking at it.
>
> I have no idea what's going on.

If you're using cfq, then it's not using mq at all. Maybe do something ala:

# perf record -ag -- sleep 10

while the slowdown is happening and then do perf report -g --no-children and
see if that yields anything interesting. Sounds like time is being spent
elsewhere and you aren't actually waiting on IO.

--
Jens Axboe