Re: [stable-4.14 00/23] block/scsi multiqueue performance enhancement and

Hi Greg,

Thanks for quick reply. Please see reply inline.

Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 于2018年7月23日周一 下午3:34写道:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 03:24:22PM +0200, Jack Wang wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Please consider this patchset, which include block/scsi multiqueue performance
> > enhancement and bugfix.
>
> What exactly is the performance enhancement?  How can you measure it?
> How did you measure it?
I'm testing on SRP/IBNBD using fio, I've seen +10% with mix IO load,
and 50% improvement on small IO (bs=512.) with the patchset.

> Which one(s) are the bugfixes in this series?  Why not just submit those
> separately as they should be "obvious fixes", right?
We had queue stall problem on shared hctx restart, my colleague Roman
reported to upstream:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/18/263
the patch wasn't taken by upstream, and a bigger patchset from Lei
Ming was accepted instread with revert and further bugfix later on.

following patches meant for improving performance on scsi-mq, and also
contains the attempt to fix the queue stall problem
 358a3a6bccb7 ("blk-mq: don't handle TAG_SHARED in restart")
  blk-mq-sched: move actual dispatching into one helper
  blk-mq: introduce .get_budget and .put_budget in blk_mq_ops
  sbitmap: introduce __sbitmap_for_each_set()
  blk-mq-sched: improve dispatching from sw queue
  scsi: allow passing in null rq to scsi_prep_state_check()
  scsi: implement .get_budget and .put_budget for blk-mq
  SCSI: don't get target/host busy_count in scsi_mq_get_budget()
  blk-mq: don't handle TAG_SHARED in restart
  blk-mq: don't restart queue when .get_budget returns BLK_STS_RESOURCE
  blk-mq: don't handle failure in .get_budget

Following is independent fix:
blk-mq: quiesce queue during switching io sched and updating nr_requests
blk-mq: fix issue with shared tag queue re-running

These are clearup for flush request handling:
  blk-flush: don't run queue for requests bypassing flush
  block: pass 'run_queue' to blk_mq_request_bypass_insert
  blk-flush: use blk_mq_request_bypass_insert()
  blk-mq-sched: decide how to handle flush rq via RQF_FLUSH_SEQ
  blk-mq: move blk_mq_put_driver_tag*() into blk-mq.h
  blk-mq: don't allocate driver tag upfront for flush rq

The left are following up fixes.

> And why didn't you cc: the subsystem maintainer and mailing list here?
> I need their ack before I could take these.
Sorry, my mistake, now add Jens, linux-block, ilnux-scsi in reply.

Sorry for confusion.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Regards,