Re: Announcing blktests

On 05/15/2017 07:35 PM, Omar Sandoval wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 03:13:52PM +0300, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
>> Omar Sandoval <osandov@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, everyone,
>>>
>>> At LSF/MM, we talked about the need for somewhere to dump tests for the
>>> block layer/storage stack. I've put together a test suite inspired by
>>> xfstests here: https://github.com/osandov/blktests.
>>>
>>> I started out with the opinion that we should reuse xfstests for this,
>>> but it became clear that the requirements for testing block devices are
>>> slightly different, and it diverged significantly from there. In
>>> particular, blktests supports:
>>>
>>> - Per-device tests. You can configure a list of test devices and the
>>>   per-device tests will run on each one (currently in serial, we can
>>>   support parallel runs in the future if needed).
>>> - No-device tests. Some tests don't need to run on real hardware, and we
>>>   can just set up a null-blk or scsi-debug device.
>>> - Performance numbers. In addition to the output comparison pass/fail
>>>   that xfstests supports, blktests can also report arbitrary test
>>>   metrics which don't affect whether the test passes but can be useful
>>>   for spotting regressions.
>> Cool. Thank you.
>> It would be nice to have hermetic kvm environment similar to
>> xfstests-bld [1] . I'm a volunteer to do that.
>
> Fine with me. Currently I think the only things we shell out to besides
> basic coreutils and util-linux stuff are fio and parted.

IMHO this should be easily done inside an initrd as well. There's no
need for a full fledged disk image like the xfstests-bld uses (actually
a coworker of mine did the same with xfstests and dracut).

All you'll need to do is (untested):
dracut --install "fio parted" --include "$BLKTESTS_DIR" "/blktests"\
--modules "bash base" --add-drivers "loop" --no-compress --no-hostonly\
--no-hostobly-cmdline --force --tmpdir $MY_TMPDIR \
--kver `make kernelrelease`

and then add this to your qemu-kvm via -initrd

--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumshirn@xxxxxxx                                +49 911 74053 689