Re: How to debug intermittent increasing md/inflight but no disk activity?

I just wanted to chime in to express a sincere "thank you!" to all of you
involved in this thread, for providing such a terrific example of how to
clearly and exhaustively present a systems problem, and then also how to
methodically determine its root cause.

If there were a textbook on this subject in the IT/CompSci context (if there
is, please let me know!), *this* exchange should make it into the next edition
on how to get problems analyzed and resolved.

I will keep it in my personal bookmarks right next to [0], which is a short
but great essay about how what you just put into practice is possible in
theory, and which I've used whenever needed to inspire hope in others (and,
truth be told, also in myself :)) in the face of the daunting complexity of
modern computer systems.

[0]: https://blog.nelhage.com/post/computers-can-be-understood/

--
with best regards: