Re: Kernel namespaces for device mapper targets and block devices?

On Sun, 19 May 2024, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 5/18/24 00:04, Eric Wheeler wrote:

> >> It is on my to-do list.
> >> We sure should work on that one.
> >
> > How you envision hooking namespaces into the block layer?
> >
> Overall idea is to inherit devices from the original namespace.
> - upon creation the new namespace inherits all devices from the
>   original ns.

For namespace initialization, is there way to start with an empty
namespace (no inherit), and only add devices the namespace that you would
like to provide to the container? For example, you might want to provide a
logical volume to the container and then let the container users do with
they want in terms of creating new devices from that namespace-assigned
"root level" device.

Somehow it needs to be safe in terms of the container users changing the
device mapper table spec of a "root level" device using `dmsetup reload
--table`.

--
Eric Wheeler