Re: cgroup io.stat propagation regression

On 5/15/24 12:54, Dan Schatzberg wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 10:26:31AM -0400, Waiman Long wrote:
On 5/14/24 23:59, Waiman Long wrote:
On 5/14/24 15:25, Dan Schatzberg wrote:
Hi Waiman,

I've noticed that on recent kernels io.stat metrics don't propagate
all the way up the hierarchy. Specifically, io.stat metrics of some
leaf cgroup will be propagated to the parent, but not its grandparent.

For a simple repro, run the following:

systemd-run --slice test-test dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/test
bs=4096 count=1

Then:

cat /sys/fs/cgroup/test.slice/test-test.slice/io.stat

Shows the parent cgroup stats and I see wbytes=4096 but the
grandparent cgroup:

cat /sys/fs/cgroup/test.slice/io.stat

shows no writes.

I believe this was caused by the change in "blk-cgroup: Optimize
blkcg_rstat_flush()". When blkcg_rstat_flush is called on the parent
cgroup, it exits early because the lockless list is empty since the
parent cgroup never issued writes itself (e.g. in
blk_cgroup_bio_start). However, in doing so it never propagated stats
to its parent.

Can you confirm if my understanding of the logic here is correct and
advise on a fix?
Yes, I believe your analysis is correct. Thanks for spotting this iostat
propagation problem.

I am working on a fix to address this problem and will post a patch once
I have finished my testing.
Actually, I can only reproduce the issue with a 3-level
(child-parent-grandparent) cgroup hierarchy below the root cgroup. The dd
command is run test.slice/test-test.slice. So both test.slice/io.stat and
test.slice/test-test.slice/io.stat are properly updated.
That's correct, this repros with a 3-level cgroup hierarchy (or
more). systemd-run should create an ephemeral .scope cgroup under
test-test.slice and then delete it when the dd command finishes. So
test.slice/test-test.slice was the parent (2nd level) and test.slice
is the grandparent.

OK, I didn't get the .scope sub-cgroup when I ran the above systemd-run command. Perhaps it's due to a difference in configuration. Anyway, I was able to reproduce the problem and devise the fix accordingly.

Thanks,
Longman