Re: [GIT PULL] Block updates for 6.9-rc1

On Mon, Mar 11 2024 at  8:21P -0400,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 at 17:02, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Just revert that commit it for now.
>
> Done.
>
> I have to say, this is *not* some odd config here. It's literally a
> default Fedora setup with encrypted volumes.
>
> So the fact that this got reported after I merged this shows a
> complete lack of testing.

Please see my other reply just now.  This breakage is new.  Obviously
cryptsetup's testsuite is lacking too because there wasn't any issue
for weeks now.

> It also makes me suspect that you do all your performance-testing on
> something that may show great performance, but isn't perhaps the best
> thing to actually use.
>
> May I suggest you start looking at encrypted volumes, and do your
> performance work on those for a while?
>
> Yes, it will suck to see the crypto overhead, but hey, it's also real
> life for real loads, so...

All for Jens being made to suffer with dm-crypt but I think we need a
proper root cause of what is happening for you and Johannes ;)

Mike